Working in Japan
Japan is a diverse nation that is culturally different to most other countries and its unique way of life makes it an attractive location for people looking for something completely different from their careers. It is important that you prepare yourself for the exciting challenges you will face when relocating from Ireland to work in one of our major cities, such as Tokyo or Osaka.
If you are considering moving to work in Japan from Ireland, you could benefit from speaking to Morgan McKinley’s expert consultants who specialise in international recruitment. We can help prepare you for working at a number of international locations including Japan, so contact us today.
Living in Japan - Fast Facts
- Japan is an archipelago situated in the Pacific Ocean, east of the Chinese mainland.
- It is made up of over 3,000 islands - the largest, most populated ones being Hokkaido, Kyushu, Honshu and Shikoku.
- Japan has a population of approximately 127 million.
- The Japanese currency is the Yen.
- Japanese culture is hugely diverse and combines rich history with intense modernity.
- Our work ethic is renowned worldwide. Punctuality, diligence, pride in one’s work and enthusiasm are highly regarded personal traits.
- Arriving early for work (sometimes up to an hour early) and staying late are signifiers of respect to your employer and colleagues, and are crucial signs of dedication and job satisfaction.
- Japanese is the native and main spoken language and, although English is learnt compulsorily at school, degrees of fluency vary dramatically. Learning some everyday Japanese phrases will help you settle into your new environment, both locally and at work.
- Normal office hours here in Japan are 9am-5pm on weekdays.
- Familiarising yourself with expected working practices can help you settle in and avoid awkward social errors.
Visa and tax requirements in Japan
As with travelling to any country, you will require a valid passport. When travelling to Japan, you will also be required to show evidence of either an onward or return trip, or evidence detailing support for a longer stay. For more information about visa requirements in Japan, contact the Embassy of Japan in Ireland
Thinking about moving to Japan?
if you are considering working abroad, international recruitment specialists Morgan McKinley can give you advice and guidance on a number of locations worldwide, including Japan.
We have been engaged with Morgan McKinley to hire a specialised senior leadership team for our company in Singapore. Having worked with other recruiters in different parts of the world we were instantly impressed by their specialist recruitment model and the calibre of the professionals who work for Morgan McKinley.
With our very niche and specialised requirements, the Morgan McKinley team instantly demonstrated their strength as a specialist recruiter and exceptional knowledge of and network in the industry. Their creative thinking and positive can-do attitude put us at ease while working with them and we could completely rely on them whilst we worked through some very tight deadlines. Their commitment to fill the roles was clearly demonstrated as they were able to deliver in time with high quality and integrity.
They not only qualified candidates based on the skills but also qualified them from a cultural fitments perspective. Morgan McKinley kept us in constant communication on the progress of the search and advised us of challenges, possible solutions and approaches to address those challenges. As a client this gives us immense confidence in our partner and working with Morgan McKinley has been an absolute pleasure.
The entire experience with Morgan McKinley has been very positive and we will certainly work with them again in the future. We are confident to recommend them in the areas of their specialisation and wish them success.
Executive Vice President | Global Tech Company
I have worked closely with Morgan McKinley on a couple of senior level searches, MD level regional Head roles. I found that the Morgan McKinley team genuinely understands the IB market, are well networked and have plenty of tips and market expertise to share. They took the time to understand exactly what I was looking for, provided a strong steer on the candidate pool and proactively sponsored the Deutsche Bank brand with candidates. Throughout the search the team stayed in touch and helped advise on all phases of the process. I would gladly recommend Morgan McKinley to any banks looking to hire and to banking professionals looking for a new challenge. It was a positive experience.
APAC HR Business Partner | Global European Investment Bank and Financial Services Company
I have worked with Morgan McKinley for both Operations and Technology mandates. I found that their market reach, industry networks, and candidate pool is fantastic. Their ability to understand the requirements and then tailor their search according to the specific requirements, is truly appreciated. Morgan McKinley has been able to build a great partnership with us by understanding what the Bank looks for in candidates and that helps me immensely in finding the right candidate for roles at the Bank
Tech, Ops, Control function | Global American Investment Bank