Working in Canada
Canada was voted as one of the best places in the world to live and work. This assessment was based upon Canada’s achievements in terms of educational attainment, life expectancy, national income and general quality of life. It also included Canada’s abundance of fresh water, comfortable population density, low incidence of violent crime and a health care system that is a model for the world.
Living in Canada – Fast Facts
- The currency is the Canadian Dollar ($).
- A multitude of languages are used by Canadians, with English and French (the official languages) being the mother tongues of approximately 60% and 20% of Canadians respectively.
- One third of the population lives in the three largest cities: Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Its capital is Ottawa, and other major urban areas include Calgary, Edmonton, Quebec City, Winnipeg and Hamilton.
- Canada’s ten provinces and three territories extend from the Atlantic to the Pacific and northward into the Arctic Ocean, making it the world's second-largest country by total area and the fourth-largest country by land area
- All Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible for public health insurance. When you have it, you do not pay for most health-care services as health care is paid for through taxes.
- Toronto is very diverse, with 49 percent of the population made up of immigrants
- Located in the heart of Canada's Technology Triangle, Waterloo has the second-highest density of startups in the world. (1st is Silicon Valley)
Living in Canada – Visa Information
Work permits and visas are required by anyone who is not already a Canadian Permanent Residence or Canadian Citizen. Anyone may apply for a work permit before they enter Canada. In some cases, you must apply to a visa office outside Canada. This is usually true if you need a visa to enter Canada or if you need to have a medical exam before you come to Canada.
There are two types of work permits: open work permits and employer-specific work permits. The type of work permit you get depends on the nature of your business. The government of Canada website is a great source of information in relation to visa applications and immigration to Canada.
Thinking About Moving To Canada?
If you are considering working abroad, international recruitment specialists Morgan McKinley can give you advice and guidance on a number of locations worldwide, including Ireland.
We have been engaged with Morgan McKinley to hire a specialised senior leadership team for our company in Singapore. Having worked with other recruiters in different parts of the world we were instantly impressed by their specialist recruitment model and the calibre of the professionals who work for Morgan McKinley.
With our very niche and specialised requirements, the Morgan McKinley team instantly demonstrated their strength as a specialist recruiter and exceptional knowledge of and network in the industry. Their creative thinking and positive can-do attitude put us at ease while working with them and we could completely rely on them whilst we worked through some very tight deadlines. Their commitment to fill the roles was clearly demonstrated as they were able to deliver in time with high quality and integrity.
They not only qualified candidates based on the skills but also qualified them from a cultural fitments perspective. Morgan McKinley kept us in constant communication on the progress of the search and advised us of challenges, possible solutions and approaches to address those challenges. As a client this gives us immense confidence in our partner and working with Morgan McKinley has been an absolute pleasure.
The entire experience with Morgan McKinley has been very positive and we will certainly work with them again in the future. We are confident to recommend them in the areas of their specialisation and wish them success.
Executive Vice President | Global Tech Company
I have worked closely with Morgan McKinley on a couple of senior level searches, MD level regional Head roles. I found that the Morgan McKinley team genuinely understands the IB market, are well networked and have plenty of tips and market expertise to share. They took the time to understand exactly what I was looking for, provided a strong steer on the candidate pool and proactively sponsored the Deutsche Bank brand with candidates. Throughout the search the team stayed in touch and helped advise on all phases of the process. I would gladly recommend Morgan McKinley to any banks looking to hire and to banking professionals looking for a new challenge. It was a positive experience.
APAC HR Business Partner | Global European Investment Bank and Financial Services Company
I have worked with Morgan McKinley for both Operations and Technology mandates. I found that their market reach, industry networks, and candidate pool is fantastic. Their ability to understand the requirements and then tailor their search according to the specific requirements, is truly appreciated. Morgan McKinley has been able to build a great partnership with us by understanding what the Bank looks for in candidates and that helps me immensely in finding the right candidate for roles at the Bank
Tech, Ops, Control function | Global American Investment Bank