Working in Japan
Japan is a diverse nation that is culturally different to most other countries and its unique way of life makes it an attractive location for people looking for something completely different from their careers. It is important that you prepare yourself for the exciting challenges you will face when relocating from Ireland to work in one of our major cities, such as Tokyo or Osaka.
If you are considering moving to work in Japan from Ireland, you could benefit from speaking to Morgan McKinley’s expert consultants who specialise in international recruitment. We can help prepare you for working at a number of international locations including Japan, so contact us today.
Living in Japan - Fast Facts
- Japan is an archipelago situated in the Pacific Ocean.
- It is made up of over 3,000 islands - the largest, most populated ones being Hokkaido, Kyushu, Honshu and Shikoku.
- Japan has a population of approximately 127 million, and a population of 34 million in greater Tokyo.
- The Japanese currency is the Yen.
- Japanese culture is hugely diverse and combines rich history with intense modernity.
- The Japanese work ethic is renowned worldwide. Punctuality, diligence, pride in one’s work and enthusiasm are highly regarded personal traits.
- Arriving early for work (sometimes up to an hour early) and staying late are signifiers of respect to your employer and colleagues, and are crucial signs of dedication and job satisfaction.
- Japanese is the native and main spoken language and, although English is learnt compulsorily at school, degrees of fluency vary dramatically. Learning some everyday Japanese phrases will help you settle into your new environment, both locally and at work.
- Normal office hours here in Japan are 9am-5pm on weekdays.
- Familiarising yourself with expected working practices can help you settle in and avoid awkward social errors.
Visa and tax requirements in Japan
As with travelling to any country, you will require a valid passport. When travelling to Japan, you will also be required to show evidence of either an onward or return trip, or evidence detailing support for a longer stay. For more information about visa requirements in Japan, contact the Embassy of Japan in Ireland
Thinking about moving to Japan?
if you are considering working abroad, international recruitment specialists Morgan McKinley can give you advice and guidance on a number of locations worldwide, including Japan.
Kobo have extremely high technical standards when it comes to their people. Morgan McKinley have been exceptional in the delivery of candidates from the outset. Their commitment, attention to detail and their ability to source and attract the best candidates in an extremely competitive market has been very impressive. I would have no hesitation in recommending Morgan McKinley to anyone who is looking to source high quality candidates in the technology sector.Read More
IT Director - Kobo | E reading Tech Company, Toronto
We partnered with Ian and Morgan McKinley Technology to help us fill our Director of Engineering positions at Freshbooks. In a tight market, they were always reliable in finding us very strong technical leader candidates who also fit our culture. Ian and his team have become my go-to recruitment partners.Read More
VP Engineering -Freshbooks | SAAS Tech Company, Toronto