Working in China
The People's Republic of China is the world's second largest economy after the United States. As the world's fastest-growing major economy, with average growth rates of 10% for the last three decades, China has become the first choice for many professionals from a range of industries who want to work abroad.
If you are considering moving to work in China you could benefit from speaking to Morgan McKinley’s expert consultants, who specialise in recruitment abroad. We can answer your questions and offer any advice you may require about working in China.
Living in China – Fast Facts
- The currency in China is Renminbi, often abbreviated as RMB (¥). Credit cards are accepted at most hotels and tourist shops.
- Beijing is the capital city of China, with a population of approximately 17.4 million, while Shanghai, the centre of finance and trade in China, has approximately 13.8 million.
- As the world’s third largest country in total area, the climate of China is extremely diverse; subtropical in the south to subarctic in the north.
- The native language in China is Mandarin. A significant portion of the working population can also speak English.
- Normal working hours in China are from 8.30am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday.
Visa Requirements in China
As with travelling to any country, you will require a valid passport. When travelling to China you will also be required to show evidence of either an onward or return trip, or evidence detailing support for a longer stay. You can find out more about the visa requirements for China from your national Chinese embassy website.
Thinking about Moving to China?
If you are considering working abroad, international recruitment specialists Morgan McKinley can give you advice and guidance on a number of locations worldwide, including mainland China.
Kobo have extremely high technical standards when it comes to their people. Morgan McKinley have been exceptional in the delivery of candidates from the outset. Their commitment, attention to detail and their ability to source and attract the best candidates in an extremely competitive market has been very impressive. I would have no hesitation in recommending Morgan McKinley to anyone who is looking to source high quality candidates in the technology sector.
IT Director - Kobo | E reading Tech Company, Toronto
We partnered with Ian and Morgan McKinley Technology to help us fill our Director of Engineering positions at Freshbooks. In a tight market, they were always reliable in finding us very strong technical leader candidates who also fit our culture. Ian and his team have become my go-to recruitment partners.
VP Engineering -Freshbooks | SAAS Tech Company, Toronto