- 1319 Sep 29, 2020 Competitive
The purpose of this role is to take responsibility for meeting and delivering of GIS systems.
The National Broadband Plan (NBP) is the largest ever telecommunications project undertaken by the Irish State. It aims to radically transform the country's broadband landscape through the delivery of quality, affordable high-speed broadband to all parts of Ireland where such services are not available commercially.
The NBP will ensure that all people and businesses in the Intervention Area have access to a modern and reliable broadband network, capable of supporting the communications, information, education and entertainment requirements of current and future generations.
The network will be designed, built and operated by National Broadband Ireland, using a combination of State subsidy and commercial investment. It will make its services available to all of the rollout area, which accounts for 23% of the population in about approximately 537,000 homes, farms, schools and businesses.
Key Objectives / Accountabilities:
The purpose of this role is to take responsibility for meeting and delivering of GIS systems. Working across various GIS tools (ArcGIS, QGIS, FMI, GESW etc….). Manage inflow of information, generate reports and packs for various parties, develop common GIS standards for design and build partners, ensure data integrity.
- GIS Process & Methodology for Work Pack assembly
- Effective data import and population of inventory systems
- Seamless data sharing process with all stakeholders
- Support to the Design Team
- Geo spatial analyses and reporting capability
- Support and develop standards with design and build partners
- Define data standards, data schemas, data models
- Preparation of data for use in reports, maps and other assessments
- Creation and maintenance of Mobile and Web GIS applications
- Ensure spatial consistency and standards
- Ability to integrate GIS solutions with other systems/databases via API's
- Deliver Technical Support to the Design Production team
- Support the Regional Design Managers to deliver timely preparation of contractor design packs.
- Develop a support structure for all GEO database process flows within NBI
- Effectively manage the user base in relation to system issues, appropriate communications etc
- Supervise the transfer of GEO spatial data sets and information packs between NBI and all third parties.
- Review and identify data synchronisation gaps
- Support to identify solutions to closing the data synchronisation gaps and prioritise implementation, liaising with relevant Process, system and business unit experts to enable appropriate solution identification and implementation, including business case and benefit capture ownership
- Identify opportunities to fully leverage the capabilities of the GIS and Inventory suite across design and build, including operational efficiencies, data integrity, process time improvements, etc.
- Manage the creation of the Network inventory and records.
- Ensure all key risks/issues associated with the GIS & Inventory Data system release and projects are identified, appropriate actions implemented, and issues/risks escalated where appropriate
- Identify key initiatives that will enable the enhancement of the systems and increase the efficiency with users including system enhancements and additional user support
- Working knowledge of GIS platforms like ArcGIS or QGIS (minimum 3 years)
Knowledge & Experience
- Qualified to at least degree level in a relevant engineering/electrical/electronic/ICT discipline
- 5+ years' experience in a technical role relating to GEO spatial system and data operations, ideally in telecommunications/Utility industry.
- Advanced knowledge of ArcGIS, QGIS, FME
- SQL Scripting
- Python and Java Programming
- Fibre network knowledge is an advantage
- Strong track record in telecommunications industry, preferably in a design / geo spatial environment.
- Experience of telecommunications network construction principles an advantage.
- Ability to manage time and deal with multiple complex problems at once
- Excellent analytical skills with high attention to detail and good documentation skills
- Proven ability to successfully manage external partners/vendors
- Proven ability to respond well to change and maintain flexibility while keeping focus on objectives
- Strong team player
- Demonstrates flexibility and willingness to do what it takes to get the job done
- Excellent ambassador for NBI, promoting the organisation and role modelling NBI's values.
Morgan McKinley is working in partnership with National Broadband Ireland.