Frequently Asked Questions
Please speak to your Recruitment Consultant about this at your registration interview.
- How do I know what screening will be required for me to start a job?
- Is Compliance screening mandatory for all clients and roles?
- Yes. In order to introduce you to a client and meet our obligations as either an Employment Business or Employment Agency, we are required to validate at least your Eligibility to Work in the UK, Identity, Qualifications for the role and verify your Employment History. For more information from the Home Office please follow this link:- UK Visas & Immigration
- How long does compliance screening take?
- The length of screening time is dependant on a few factors. One of these is the number and types of checks required - some of these may be with external bodies with specific time frames for verification response. We have found that the more prepared potential candidates are for the compliance process, the more efficient this is. Our advice is to start collecting your supporting documents, prepare for what may be required and allow yourself enough time to be able to visit our offices and start the process as soon as this is requested from you. Average turnaround times for compliance screening levels vary however you can expect it to take up to two or three weeks to complete.
- I have lived overseas (outside the UK) within the past 5 years. Will there be any extra checks needed?
- There may be additional checks such as international credit and criminal searches to be completed as part of your screening - this will be outlined in the specific level of screening needed at both client and job level. We have access to over 150 different countries who provide these checks to our screening providers. Please be aware that some of these checks can take up to 6 weeks to provide us with reports so this may cause a delay to your start date or require more notice to complete. In some instances, these checks may be undertaken directly with the client and if you have lived in the UK within the past 12 months then you may be able to start your assignment with this pending.
- What types of supporting documents are considered to be acceptable?
- Each client will have a policy on what is acceptable to meet their requirements. The most common acceptable documents are job searching emails, travel stamps, booking confirmations, boarding passes, bank statements, job seeker’s allowance letters, birth/marriage certificates (if covering a gap), personal references and volunteering references. Please note that this list is not exhaustive.
- Who can act as a personal referee?
- Your personal referee will need to have known you for at least 5 years, not be related (or in a relationship with you) to you and able to reply to us from a work email address. Ideally this person will be a registered professional however this will be governed by client requirements and you will be advised of this by our screening provider.
- I have a criminal conviction. Do I need to declare this?
- If your conviction is considered to be ‘unspent’ you will need to declare this to us during the registration process. You may be asked to explain this in further detail and we will advise you accordingly if this will impact your suitability for the role. An example of a case for review internally would be for a Motoring offence. For more guidance of whether or not you have a ‘spent’ or ‘unspent’ criminal offence or whether you must declare this, please follow this link:- Guidance on Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974. UK Criminal checks for unregulated roles will be a basic level check through Disclosure Scotland (DS). For regulated roles, you will be asked to complete either Standard or Enhanced check through the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS). For more information on these please click on these links:- Disclosure Scotland Online or Disclosure & Barring Service
- What is involved in the credit check?
- All of our clients differ on what they consider to be good or adverse credit and how pertinent it is to the role you will be performing. The level of credit checking completed will also vary by their policies and requirements. For a major bank, for example, adverse credit may be considered to be defaults, whilst for other clients they will be looking to review CCJs or Bankruptcies. Having adverse credit does not immediately result in a lack of suitability for a role with our agency, however you will need to declare this during your registration process and we can advise you accordingly. If you are unsure of your credit status and would like to complete an initial check yourself, we recommend you follow this link:- Experian Free Trial Credit Check
- What are Directorship Checks?
- Directorship check are generally required more by our Financial Services clients however we have seen a rise in the number of other clients who would like past and current Directorships verified. We would use your name (and any variations thereof) through a Companies House register check along with other reputable sites as part of our third party supplier services. You may need to declare any past or present Directorships to the Internal Compliance team if you are applying for certain roles. As part of the screening requirements we are required to undertake, you will be asked for documentation of incorporation and insurances for your current Limited Company should you wish to also use it as your preferred payroll method. Insurance requirements will vary by client specific contractual obligations. If you are unsure if you have sufficient cover or would like more information, please contact your Recruitment Consultant or the Internal Compliance team on the details at the bottom of this page or follow this link:- Companies House Register Search
- What Education checks do we complete?
- In most cases our clients will request that this would be the highest completed education, regardless of the time period in which this was completed. On occasions, we will be required to verify all education if completed within the past 5 years referencing period. If you completed your training or qualifications overseas, please put the obtained grade on the certificate and not any equivalencies as this can sometimes cause discrepancies during the verification process. We understand that it is not always possible that your educational institute still holds records of your attendance and grades, so please bring your original certificates and transcripts with you to your registration interview. For UK based Universities or Colleges, please follow this link:- HEDD - Higher Education Degree Datacheck
- Which Professional Qualifications do you verify?
- Any pertinent qualifications needed for the role will be detailed within the job advert or description, if you are unsure if your qualifications on your cv are pertinent, please discuss this with your Recruitment Consultant. As part of all levels of screening we complete, we will be verifying this directly with the awarding or registered body. These checks are subject to external timeframes so may take longer to obtain confirmation internationally. It is essential that you declare to us any part-studied courses, lapsed memberships and any qualifications for which you did not receive certification in. Please remember to bring a copy of your original certificates and transcripts with you to your registration interview. For more information or queries regarding this, please contact our Internal Compliance team below.
- What are Financial Sanctions, FCA and Media Checks?
Financial Sanctions Checks checks are required for many of the major banks as changes to regulatory policies were updated and global markets. We complete checks with both the US Treasury and HM Treasury to verify that you are not a politically exposed person or subject to any frozen assets.
Media checks are completed by cross-referencing your details across a library of media-related search engines and libraries globally which search for adverse media articles.
Financial Conduct Authority checks (was FSA and now FCA) are completed by searching their online register and confirming if you have previously held a regulated position and confirm no adverse information is held.
If you still have a query that is not answered here, please don't hesitate to contact us.Simply email email@example.com or telephone +44 207 092 0072 during our opening hours of 8:30am - 6pm, Monday to Thursday and 8.30am - 5.30pm on Fridays.
I would like to recognise Morgan McKinley for the great service offered in the last couple of years. I am impressed by their professionalism, the ability to select the right candidates specific to our needs as well as the outstanding service attitude. Morgan McKinley consistently follows up with the hiring managers and the candidates in order to close any gaps while satisfying the needs from both ends. Both the managers and the candidates find it a very pleasant experience in the recruitment process. I look forward to working with your company to fulfill our recruitment needs in coming years. Thank you.Read More
Assistant Vice President | Manulife International Limited
I have worked with Morgan McKinley’s Accounting and Finance recruitment team for 7+ years and I can say that they are the best recruiters that I have worked with in my 20 year career. I will rarely engage other recruiters because I know they have their clients’ best interests at heart.Read More
VP of Finance | Blackhawk
The candidates provided by Morgan McKinley for positions within IT and Business Transformation are always excellent. In addition to finding candidates who are technical, extremely competent they look outside Australia for the relatively scarce competency that I need. Our consultant has taken the time to get to know both myself and the organisation I work for. They have grasped our culture and only send candidates who will be a good fit. This considerably reduces the cycle time to fill placements, and reduces the effort required on my part to do so.Read More
Head of Process Excellence | Vodafone
Morgan McKinley focus on understanding us, our requirements and our culture. Genesis Automation work with various members of the Morgan McKinley team and each member goes above and beyond to deliver high quality candidates and are always professional and pleasant to deal with’Read More
HR Manager | Genesis Automation
We’ve recently partnered with Morgan McKinley as part of our preferred suppliers and have found the service provided so far to be excellent. For me, one of the key characteristics to any successful partnership is communication and we’ve found them extremely proactive and helpful in helping us to recruit some strong people that fit with our culture and make up of our organisation. Regardless of what consultant you deal with, they all provide a sense of urgency and professionalism in looking after our requirements. I look forward to working with them in the futureRead More
HR Business Partner | UDGHealthcare
Working with Morgan McKinley is exactly what you want as a hiring manager. They take the time to truly understand what you're looking for in a candidate and only put people forward who are relevant, qualified and interested in the opportunity at hand. They are the only agency I've ever engaged with where I've hired the very first candidate they've put forward. I highly recommend working with Morgan McKinley for your recruitment needsRead More
Co-Founder | Workvivo
Recruiting staff can be a time consuming and arduous process. Morgan McKinley and our dealings with their consultant were refreshing and showed a more professional and structured approach to finding the right candidate. Their attention to detail was not just ensuring candidates have the required skill sets but also ensuring a candidates personality would fit well within our firm and office. I would warmly recommend Morgan McKinley to firms recruiting technologists in the finance sector.Read More
Technology Group | Asia Pacific
Morgan McKinley’s Accounting and Finance team has been a valuable recruitment partner. I found their insights around the market in terms of skills in finance and what other companies are doing in certain roles and structures in finance to be very useful and helpful in putting the competency skills set for different roles.Read More
Head of Finance | McDonald's