Frequently Asked Questions
Below is a list of questions that we are asked from time to time. If your question is not answered here, please contact your Morgan McKinley consultant.
- How much will I get paid?
- When we discuss the compensation for every role we take into account the complexities of the job, your expertise, length of assignment, travel distance and how much support you are likely to receive. The key is to ensure you get rewarded with a fair and equitable market rate. Sometimes these factors change mid assignment, so it's important to keep your consultant in the loop. We are happy to look at rate increases if they are justified and deserved. Your rate is highly confidential (a condition of your employment) - as such you should only discuss it with your consultant.
- How will I get paid?
- Once you are placed in a contract role, our Contractor Experience Team will be in touch with you to onboard you and will advise on the timesheet process and payment schedule based on your set up
- How do manual timesheets work
- Check out this page that explains how manual timesheets work.
- What if I miss the timesheet deadline?
- Call your consultant immediately! We will do everything we can to help you but sometimes it just isn’t possible as we need to receive your timesheet on time.
- What if I am unable to go to work?
- We appreciate that sometimes you can’t attend work for a variety of reasons so please call your consultant by 8am so that they can inform the client.
- How long will my assignment last?
- The length of your assignment will initially be agreed between your Morgan McKinley consultant and the company you are working with, before you start. It is common for assignments to be extended, and sometimes extended more than once, depending on the type of work you are doing, changes within a company and the skills you have. Don't be put off by an initial short term role, it could last much longer!.
- What if I don't like the assignment, company, colleagues or location etc?
- Get in touch with your consultant, they have a close working relationship with your employer and may be able to resolve the situation or at least find an effective way to improve things substantially. However trivial, get in touch with your consultant.
- What should I do when the assignment ends?
- Let your consultant know as soon as possible when the client confirms the finish date of your assignment, or any change in your assignment details (e.g. change of supervisor / department).
- Can I look for permanent work while contracting?
- We’d be delighted to assist you and in fact the permanent and contracting teams at Morgan McKinley work closely together for that very reason. Our permanent team would be delighted to meet you and discuss up to the minute market information including salaries and ‘live’ positions.
- Can contract work add value to my career?
- Absolutely, in fact many contractors choose it as a career path and never seek permanent work! Every assignment can add to your skill base and experience. You gain valuable experience and are given exposure to different working environments and opportunities.
- I would like to take some holiday during the assignment – what do I need to do?
- As a Morgan McKinley Associate (this applies to temporary employees only and not to self employed contractors), you are entitled to take leave, provided our client has approved the dates you are looking to take. As part of your onboarding process, you will complete a Payroll form which will include a question on how you want holidays paid out - if you have any questions, our Contractor Experience team will be able to advise on this.
- Can I get time off?
- We would not expect you to need time off in short-term assignments. If you are attending interviews for permanent jobs, they should be made outside of normal business hours where possible. Otherwise, always check with your consultant first no matter how little time off is needed so that we can liaise with your employer.
If you have a question that we have not covered on this page please contact your Morgan McKinley consultant.
Kobo have extremely high technical standards when it comes to their people. Morgan McKinley have been exceptional in the delivery of candidates from the outset. Their commitment, attention to detail and their ability to source and attract the best candidates in an extremely competitive market has been very impressive. I would have no hesitation in recommending Morgan McKinley to anyone who is looking to source high quality candidates in the technology sector.
IT Director - Kobo | E reading Tech Company, Toronto
We partnered with Ian and Morgan McKinley Technology to help us fill our Director of Engineering positions at Freshbooks. In a tight market, they were always reliable in finding us very strong technical leader candidates who also fit our culture. Ian and his team have become my go-to recruitment partners.
VP Engineering -Freshbooks | SAAS Tech Company, Toronto