- May 24, 2023
The Medical Council of Ireland is seeking an experienced lawyer with highly developed planning, drafting and communication skills to join its Legal team.
The Medical Council of Ireland is seeking an experienced lawyer with highly developed planning, drafting and communication skills to join its Legal team on a permanent, full-time basis in the role of Regulatory Solicitor (Assistant Principal Grade).
This pivotal role will be responsible for the for the interpretation, governance and formulation of the legislative framework within which the Medical Council operates, in so far as it relates to the regulation of registered medical practitioners in Ireland.
The Medical Council are currently reviewing its organisation structures under a new high level organisation design announced in April 2023. The purpose of our new design is to better support delivering on our purpose and overall strategy. As we continue to build detailed structures under our new Executive Leadership team, it is anticipated that there will be some changes to our existing organisational structure and some reporting lines. This is an exciting time to join the Medical Council while we undergo this important transformation.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Planning for the development of the legislative framework within which the Medical Council operates, to include the development and coordination of plans for the implementation of legislative changes across the Medical Council.
- Planning for the impact of EU legislation which is relevant to the Medical Council's regulatory functions.
- Legal advice and drafting in relation to Statutory Rules, Guidelines and regulatory guidance documents/related material pertaining to the Council's statutory functions and powers and contributing to the preparation of draft legislation, as required.
- Representing the Medical Council, as necessary, where legal advice is required or submissions are required to be made to Government Departments (in particular the Department of Health), external stakeholders and other regulators (in particular other healthcare regulators) with a focus on building and maintaining strong relationships.
- Providing ongoing legal support to the Executive of the Medical Council in exercising its functions and working closely with all stakeholders (both internal and external) to ensure delivery in respect of the Council's stated strategic objectives, including the management of the Medical Council's relationships with its external providers of legal services.
- Providing up to date, strategic and informed legal advice, in a timely manner, to the Medical Council and its Committees, as required, in relation to the Medical Council's/Committees' remit and the exercise of their functions and powers.
- Working on key organisational projects including any tasks assigned from time to time by the General Counsel.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and the job holder is expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by the changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
- Professional legal qualification as a solicitor or barrister licensed to practise within the State.
- 5+ years of relevant recent post qualification experience as a legal practitioner.
- High degree of technical expertise in administrative law and policy, including in relation to the drafting of regulations, codes of practice and other legal documentation
- Project management skills/experience in delivering complex matters to conclusion
- Report writing skills
- Demonstrable experience in reviewing legislative processes, providing insight and analysis in respect of same and translating into practical deliverables.
- Proven track record of managing a diverse range of legal issues from drafting legal documents, to advising on regulatory/public law matters and complex legislative issues.
- Recent experience at a senior level in a similar in-house role, ideally in a regulatory environment.
- Proven experience in stakeholder engagement and collaboration with the ability to network & collaborate with diverse stakeholders and build effective partnerships and alliances.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with proven ability to interpret and make accessible complex concepts and ideas.
- Ability to demonstrate sound strategic and operational judgment; to think critically and seek creative solutions and to lead by example and support teams to achieve strategic outcomes.
- Team player with strong collaboration, interpersonal and people-management skills
- Excellent time management, planning and prioritisation skills.
Details of this Appointment:
Position Type: This appointment will be offered on a full-time permanent basis. A 6-Month probationary period applies to this appointment.
Salary: Starting salary will be at €74,701, which is the first point of the Assistant Principal Officer PayScale.
If you are currently a serving civil or public servant, your entry point to the PayScale may be higher based on your current salary.
There will be salary increment each year in line with the Assistant Principal Grade PayScale and subject to satisfactory performance, until the maximum point on the scale has been reached. The rate of remuneration will not be subject to negotiation and may be adjusted from time to time in line with Government pay policy.
?Assistant Principal PayScale
€74,701 (starting) - €77,452 - €80,241 - €83,040 - €85,834 - €87,445
€90,265¹ (LS1 After 3 years satisfactory service at the maximum)
€93,095² (LS2 After 6 years satisfactory service at the maximum)
Annual Leave: 30 working days plus public holidays
Hours: 35 hours per week, Mon-Fri.
Location: Kingram House, Kingram Place, Dublin 2. We operate a hybrid working model with both remote working and requirement for on-site attendance one day per week.
Pension: The Medical Council offers a pension through the Public Sector Scheme. Contributions to the scheme will commence on joining the organisation. Candidates currently working in the Public or Civil Service may transfer their pension.
Dedicated Wellbeing Group and Wellbeing Initiatives, Employee Assistance Programme, Digital Gym and Wellbeing App, Training and Development, Financial Support for Further Education, Public Service Sick Leave Scheme, TaxSaver Travel Tickets, Bike to Work Scheme, Subsidised Flu Jabs, Paid Exam Leave & Study Leave, Income Continuance Scheme, Team Building and Away Days, Civil Service Credit Union, Annual Salary Increment.
Apply by: 7th June 2023
Expected Interview Date: Week of the 19th June 2023