Working in Japan
Japan is a diverse nation that is culturally different to most other countries and its unique way of life makes it an attractive location for people looking for something completely different from their careers. It is important that you prepare yourself for the exciting challenges you will face when relocating to work in one of our major cities, such as Tokyo or Osaka.
If you are considering moving to work in Japan from Australia, you could benefit from speaking to Morgan McKinley’s expert consultants who specialise in international recruitment. We can help prepare you for working at a number of international locations including Japan, so contact us today.
Living in Japan - Fast Facts
- Japan is an archipelago situated in the Pacific Ocean, east of the Chinese mainland.
- It is made up of over 3,000 islands - the largest, most populated ones being Hokkaido, Kyushu, Honshu and Shikoku.
- Japan has a population of approximately 127 million.
- The Japanese currency is the Yen.
- Japanese culture is hugely diverse and combines rich history with intense modernity.
- Our work ethic is renowned worldwide. Punctuality, diligence, pride in one’s work and enthusiasm are highly regarded personal traits.
- Arriving early for work (sometimes up to an hour early) and staying late are signifiers of respect to your employer and colleagues, and are crucial signs of dedication and job satisfaction.
- Japanese is the native and main spoken language and, although English is learnt compulsorily at school, degrees of fluency vary dramatically. Learning some everyday Japanese phrases will help you settle into your new environment, both locally and at work.
- Normal office hours here in Japan are 9am-5pm on weekdays.
- Familiarising yourself with expected working practices can help you settle in and avoid awkward social errors.
Visa and tax requirements in Japan
As with travelling to any country, you will require a valid passport. When travelling to Japan, you will also be required to show evidence of either an onward or return trip, or evidence detailing support for a longer stay. For more information about visa requirements in Japan, contact the Embassy of Japan in Australia.
Thinking about moving to Japan?
If you are considering working abroad, international recruitment specialists Morgan McKinley can give you advice and guidance on a number of locations worldwide, including Japan.
I have worked with Morgan McKinley over the last two years, both as the Group Executive, Strategy and Technology at Qantas and now as CEO, Jetstar Group. Over this time Morgan McKinley has consistently provided us with very high quality candidates from the top tier consulting firms for senior level strategy vacancies. They have successfully sourced talent from local and international markets for "Head Of" level roles. I would highly recommend Morgan McKiley to any business looking for the best candidates in the market for their strategy teams.Read More
Leading Travel Company
In terms of the role Morgan McKinley have just placed, I was very impressed with the service provided and the candidates submitted. The Hiring Manager and the Head of Supply Chain have also given feedback that they were impressed with the shortlist you sent through. Great work!Read More
Leading FMCG Company
Morgan McKinley is one of a few agencies that I have consistently received high quality candidates from, particularly in the Business Analyst space. They actively engage with the brief and are not afraid to ask clarifying questions, leading to a better resultRead More
Leading insurance Company
The candidates provided by Morgan McKinley for positions within IT and Business Transformation are always excellence. In addition to finding candidates who are technical extremely competent, including looking outside Australia for the relatively scarce competency that I need. Jonty has taken the time to get to know both myself and the organisation I work for. He has grasped our culture and only sends candidates who will be a good fit. This considerably reduces the cycle time to fill placements, and reduces the effort required on my part to do so.Read More
Leading Telecommunications Company
Strong execution and change management is in real demand by our business right now and as a result, we want to partner with people who understand the space and, in turn, attracts the right talent. Morgan McKinley has been an excellent partner in this regard. They have a sound appreciation of these capabilities, are thorough in their approach with us and potential candidates and ensure that we are put in front of the right people at the right time.Read More
Business Services Cooperation