Whether you are starting a career search or you’re already a tax professional working within Human Capital Tax, there are many opportunities for you to enjoy a long and flourishing career.
What is Human Capital Tax?
Human Capital Tax advises on a wide range of tax solutions related to any employee issues, minimising the risks and offering opportunities to save costs for both employees and employers.
Tax professionals who work within Human Capital Tax can offer technical support across a range of tax issues including employment tax, share schemes and reward, global mobility, expatriate tax, immigration and social security.
Like other areas of tax, it is common for Human Capital professionals to study for professional qualifications including ATT and CTA.
The different routes to specialise within Human Capital Tax
If you are interested in following a career within Human Capital Tax, I have briefly outlined each area which is a potential route for you to specialise further:
- Employment Tax helps companies manage their payroll, benefits and expenses risks, implement arrangements to reduce the employment tax costs and also adapt to new legislation regarding the Pay-As-You-Earn (PAYE) and National Insurance Contributions (NIC).
- Share Schemes and Reward support the business to shape detailed executive compensation packages, share plans, bonus plans and other forms of remuneration. An important area to attract and retain the best talent.
- Global Mobility understands the increases of the international mobile workforce and the needs to move skilled employees in the right roles and locations, helping businesses effectively plan their related costs and risks.
- Expatriate Tax goes hand in hand with Global Mobility and helps with the end-to-end compliance matters in relation to overseas employee assignments, including advice on all related tax issues from the employee perspective, preparation of tax returns, cost reviews for international employees and identifying the personal tax risks for the employee whilst on assignment.
- Immigration helps employees recruit and coordinate international transfers in a timely and cost-effective manner. Furthermore, obtain the necessary VISA, work and residence permits, as well as advising on immigration topics and processes.
- Social Security plan and mitigate social security tax issues and control costs for the companies. Ensuring an in depth understanding of the social security and benefits policy and what the implications might be.
If you would like to understand how you can progress your career in Human Capital Tax, or are interested in hearing about roles I am currently recruiting for across the wider Tax discipline, please get in touch for a confidential consultation and career advice to help you achieve your future goals. As a former Human Tax specialist myself, I am in a great position to advise you!