We recently spoke to Dr. Steve Garnett about his highly-esteemed career in the software industry.
To give you an idea of Dr. Steve Garnett’s stature in the software industry, he has been part of the executive management team at three software companies when they were newly-founded startups - Oracle Corporations, Siebel Systems and Salesforce.com. Each of those three businesses has since turned into some of the most successful software companies the world has ever seen.
He has also been named as one of the 50 most influential Britons in technology in a survey held by The Daily Telegraph and was a lead investor in Fairsail, the cloud software HCM company, which was sold to Sage Group in March 2017.
For the duration of his career, Dr. Garnett has dedicated himself to using his experience and platform in the software industry to drive positive social change for underprivileged children.
Topics discussed in the video:
- Early life and upbringing: How he got to where he is today.
- What was it about Larry Ellison (Oracle founder) that enabled him to achieve such success at Oracle?
- What was it about the people Larry Ellison hired and his management style that made them so successful at Oracle and in their own right as founders of their own companies?
- Steve’s views on Amazon.
- The social impact of big tech players in the UK and why there are such high barriers to entry for emerging technology.
- Top 3 questions asked as a mentor.