Following on from my last blog on “What Makes a Functional ERP Consultant? Identifying if you fit the mould”, I have had many discussions with candidates seeking to identify if they are currently working in a functional analyst position.
A lot of professionals may start a role in finance or supply chain, and that role will evolve to encompass many of those duties and responsibilities associate with ERP functional consulting. It can be a daunting process taking that next step in your career and many candidates I speak with are unsure what skills to bring to the forefront of their CV. The most important thing to highlight is your systems knowledge but what do you put next?
Key skills for professionals to identify if you are currently in a functional role or if you are ready to take that step in your career are as follows:
1. Experience with Business Process Analysis is essential. This encompasses requirement gathering; the ability to identify defects; and liaising with stakeholders.
2. Secondly comes great organisational skills usually gained when taking a lead role in a project. It requires the ability to deal with ambiguity, juggle multiple priorities and meet goals and deadlines.
3. Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to influence people is an absolute must! A good functional consultant has excellent relationship management skills. An understanding of people and how to liaise with others is crucial through any major change in a business. A functional consultant will manage vendors, liaise with the technical team, report to senior managers and work with end users to ensure a smooth transition.
4. The ability and willingness to share knowledge. A functional consultant is heavily involved in the test and UAT phases. They will often take the role of trainer and mentor to the end users and will be responsible for acceptance of the new system changes.
5. Essential to finding the next great role is ensuring that potential employers can find you... It is imperative that you include the “key words” in your profile i.e. – functional, implementation, configuration, SAP, ERP, Oracle, go-live, roll out etc.
Feel free to reach out to me for a confidential chat to discuss if ERP consulting is the right career path for you.