Working in Canada
Canada was voted as one of the best places in the world to live and work. This assessment was based upon Canada’s achievements in terms of educational attainment, life expectancy, national income and general quality of life. It also included Canada’s abundance of fresh water, comfortable population density, low incidence of violent crime and a health care system that is a model for the world.
Living in Canada – Fast Facts
- The currency is the Canadian Dollar ($).
- A multitude of languages are used by Canadians, with English and French (the official languages) being the mother tongues of approximately 60% and 20% of Canadians respectively.
- One third of the population lives in the three largest cities: Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Its capital is Ottawa, and other major urban areas include Calgary, Edmonton, Quebec City, Winnipeg and Hamilton.
- Canada’s ten provinces and three territories extend from the Atlantic to the Pacific and northward into the Arctic Ocean, making it the world's second-largest country by total area and the fourth-largest country by land area
- All Canadian citizens and permanent residents are eligible for public health insurance. When you have it, you do not pay for most health-care services as health care is paid for through taxes.
- Toronto is very diverse, with 49 percent of the population made up of immigrants
- Located in the heart of Canada's Technology Triangle, Waterloo has the second-highest density of startups in the world. (1st is Silicon Valley)
Living in Canada – Visa Information
Work permits and visas are required by anyone who is not already a Canadian Permanent Residence or Canadian Citizen. Anyone may apply for a work permit before they enter Canada. In some cases, you must apply to a visa office outside Canada. This is usually true if you need a visa to enter Canada or if you need to have a medical exam before you come to Canada.
There are two types of work permits: open work permits and employer-specific work permits. The type of work permit you get depends on the nature of your business. The government of Canada website is a great source of information in relation to visa applications and immigration to Canada.
Thinking About Moving To Canada?
If you are considering working abroad, international recruitment specialists Morgan McKinley can give you advice and guidance on a number of locations worldwide, including Ireland.
I have worked with Morgan McKinley over the last two years, both as the Group Executive, Strategy and Technology at Qantas and now as CEO, Jetstar Group. Over this time Morgan McKinley has consistently provided us with very high quality candidates from the top tier consulting firms for senior level strategy vacancies. They have successfully sourced talent from local and international markets for "Head Of" level roles. I would highly recommend Morgan McKiley to any business looking for the best candidates in the market for their strategy teams.
Leading Travel Company
In terms of the role Morgan McKinley have just placed, I was very impressed with the service provided and the candidates submitted. The Hiring Manager and the Head of Supply Chain have also given feedback that they were impressed with the shortlist you sent through. Great work!
Leading FMCG Company
Morgan McKinley is one of a few agencies that I have consistently received high quality candidates from, particularly in the Business Analyst space. They actively engage with the brief and are not afraid to ask clarifying questions, leading to a better result
Leading insurance Company
The candidates provided by Morgan McKinley for positions within IT and Business Transformation are always excellence. In addition to finding candidates who are technical extremely competent, including looking outside Australia for the relatively scarce competency that I need. Jonty has taken the time to get to know both myself and the organisation I work for. He has grasped our culture and only sends candidates who will be a good fit. This considerably reduces the cycle time to fill placements, and reduces the effort required on my part to do so.
Leading Telecommunications Company
Strong execution and change management is in real demand by our business right now and as a result, we want to partner with people who understand the space and, in turn, attracts the right talent. Morgan McKinley has been an excellent partner in this regard. They have a sound appreciation of these capabilities, are thorough in their approach with us and potential candidates and ensure that we are put in front of the right people at the right time.
Business Services Cooperation